Friday, 5 April 2013
Day 12. Biopsy results.
My mum is still coughing up blood but she was at her doctor on Tuesday who told her not to worry. The colour of it indicated that it was still remnants left over from her extensive bleed during the biopsy rather than fresh bleeding. Which eased my mind greatly!
We went out to my brothers for dinner after that and the kids were in such great moods. Ben hates having his photo taken but he was really eager to get one taken with granny! It was supposed to be both him and Eilidh Grace but the little one wasn't having it! So that's a task for next time, I think. It was nice.
Thursday was the day of her pet scan. She'd spoken the night before about how scared she was; she's very claustrophobic so was really anxious about it! But, thankfully, she said it was fine. That she just kept her eyes closed. It's just a waiting game for the results! We spent the rest of the day looking at wallpaper and eating pizza haha!
Today, Friday, was her appointment at the clinic with her consultant. The first time in over a month that she has spoken to someone. Ridiculous.
There were students in the room and I think it was her CT scan on the screen? The cancer was lit up like a neon light and massive. 5 centimeters. And then he, the consultant, confirmed it and I fought back the tears but lost. It's the confirmation, I think. I've spoken to a couple of friends before about how awful I felt for not being horrendously devastated and even said to my mum that I feel better now than I did when we were waiting constantly with no answers. But it's just not true, I know that now. Until now, I was clearly playing blissful ignorance. My mind had shut it off, maybe to protect me, but now that I've heard the words from the mouth of a professional, I can't really do that anymore so the tears came.
He confirmed cancer. Adenocarcinoma most likely. He said he doesn't have the full report from the PET scan but - "I shouldn't say this" - it looked good. And, once he has the full report, if it IS good, then she'll be scheduled for surgery. This is what my mum's friend Caroline has. However, they found more cells behind her breast bone and she's recently completed 3 months of chemo and radiation before surgery was an option.
My brother went home rather than returning to work after the appointment; it ended with my mother comforting us when it should have been the other way round. She's very positive about it. I however, can't get past the 15% 5 year survival rate.
Now, we wait for the call from the consultant with the pet scan results.
I also paid the entrance fee for something I'm both incredibly excited about and pooping my pants over at the same time! On July 13, I'll be driving up to Perth to make the 14,000ft jump. Skydiving for The Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation - The only charity in the UK wholly focused on defeating lung cancer. Let the fundraising begin! https://www.justgiving.com/tonipreston2013
My mum, however, has had a bit of a funny turn. She couldn't decribe what it felt like but it was her head and she was seeing things in her peripheral vision. She's convinced it's in her head; that it's spread.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













No comments:
Post a Comment